Monday, May 12, 2008

The Journey of Mt KK (Day 3)

25th April 2008

1.30am – woke up to someone’s alarm and also by the noise outside. Oh gosh.. The room is so stuffy… can barely breathe… wait… could it be the thin air? Neh… I’m sure it’s the room that’s stuffy. Apparently, the hot water there is only available at certain hours.. Gosh.. The air outside is much cooler. There are lots of people walking in and out of the corridor and there’s already a queue in the washroom. 2 toilet & 2 shower room – not enough lar… I pop the altitude sickness pill – just in case – after such hard climb yesterday, I better make sure I reach the bloody top!


I need ur fat to warm me.. :p


It's friday at 2.25am with the temp of 8 degree

2.30am – we head out after a short prayer. Temperature is showing at 8 degree Celsius. Headlamp on, gloves on, alright.. We are all set to go. Again, thank God for the good weather as there’s no rain again! Wow.. Amazing right!! As we slowly make our way up, the rocks and trail are quite slippery due to yesterday evening rain. Can’t imagine what would it be like if it’s raining at that time.. it might turn out to be a mini waterfall…
Thin cold air and runny nose is not helping me to go any faster.. Sigh… slowly, we are dividing to 2 groups again, Mel, WM & David in the faster group, myself, dom & geoff are the slower group. I think I slowed them down.. :s but slowly, the 2 boys slow down too, we have to leave geoff behind as Dom is having muscle cramp and he wish to move on fast to forget about the pain. It’s painful to see him limping on one leg especially on the rocky part.


Before ditching Geoff... sorry...

The sky is very clear and most of us switch off our headlamp as the moon light is bright enough to guide us. Looking back is just a clear view of KK town sleeping peacefully. At this part, we didn’t take much photos as we try to make it to the top with Dom struggling on with the strength 1 leg only.

5.30am – We can see the sun rising slowly but surely. We know that we have missed the sun rise from the peak. I’m not disappointed with that as my focus is to reach the top. That’s all. Sun rise is just a plus point for me.

6.00am – Finally, we’ve made it! I’m the 4th to arrive in our group.. Not too bad lar hor.. hehe… as Dom slowly make his way up, we all got prepare. The moment he reached the peak, we sing “Happy Birthday” to him and the rest of the hikers join in… It’s a wonderful moment and stupid me, forgot to capture that moment… )(@^#$*#$%
Stupid… stupid…stupid…


Yeah... can see the signboard de!! few more steps!

We made it! :)

Birthday boy on the peak! :)

The hike down is scary, most of the time, the guide has to grab my hand and lead me down as my knees are weak at the sight of such great height! :s

kissing the rock


The view change as we go lower... beautiful

10am – we arrive at Laban rata at around 10 plus. Once I sit down, I’ve got no energy at all to get up to get breakfast… so tired. We have to pack up fast as the check out time is 11am. No time to shower and no hot water to shower… but it’s not hot or sweaty anyway. It’s raining outside and we are glad we made it in time again before the heavy rain.
God is really on our side all the way!



getting to go down

The hike down is horrible… it’s down… down… down.. It’s so tiring and my knees are giving up already… along the way, we saw a porter carry a gas tank up… can you believe that?! A freaking gas tank!!!! My God! Right now, if any of you complain that your job is tough, try theirs!! Carrying what seems to be a 30kg tank and hike up about 5m to delivery and then hike down with an empty tank on the same day, anyone interested?

4.30pm – made it finally to Timpohon gate. Mel, David, Eunice & Caroline are waiting for us and so is our van driver. He droved us to KK park to let us have our late lunch and grab our luggage as well as our hard-earned certificates.

It’s been a crazy experience for me… I’m definitely not a big fan of hiking and normally I’ll go hiking if it only there are some fun activities involved.
Making it to the top of Mt KK without any injury (except for a bruise on my butt when I slip and landed on my right butt while going down..hehe..)… hey… I’m very proud of myself!

Happy Birthday Dom! :)

A round of applause pls...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clap clap clap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another round..

CLAP CLAP CLAPPPP!!!!!!!!!

YOU MADE IT, dear!!!!!!!muaks!! so pandai!!! Finally~~~ Happy belated Dom... ahhaha~ cool to be on the top ler.. haiyah.. why u all no bring cake??? :P hahahahaa.. imagine blowing candle on top..walow... i wonder can the candle light up or not ler?